At League of Geeks, we dedicate ourselves to crafting videogames that are critically, culturally, and commercially successful on an international scale. Achieving this requires exceptionally strong leadership, and so we are on the look out for a technical director with exceptional leadership skills, strategic foresight, and technical proficiency.
With a technical background and extensive videogame development experience, the tech director understands the big picture of game development, making them uniquely qualified to work with our talented project teams as an independent auditor, consultant, and director, setting them up for success. As the head of the engineering department, the technical director understands data and efficient workflows, gathering metrics and addressing challenges faced by engineers. They work to set standards and guidelines, while also defining and directing a studio-wide development process and technological strategy both innovative and effective enough to place League of Geeks at the forefront of the medium.
As two-time Australian Studio of the Year, we are committed to building one of the best working environments in the world, with a genuine focus on well being, skill development, and the correct ratio of pot plants to humans.
If you’re keen to work with one of the world’s leading independent studios on new, exciting projects, we'd love to hear from you!
Women and other underrepresented developers, please apply! We pride ourselves on our inclusive work environment and output, so we’d love to work with you.
- 8+ years relevant experience at videogame development studio/s.
- Shipped at least one commercial videogame with online multiplayer/games-as-a-service functionality.
- Shipped at least one commercial videogame on console platoforms, such as PS4, PS5, XBO, XBX
- Experience in a leadership role, preferably in videogames.
- Confident knowledge of coding processes, standards and methodologies, and able to architect and implement clean and concise APIs.
- Experience with developing backend services for games; game servers, matchmaking, APIs etc.
- Extensive knowledge of the game development process from start to finish.
- Excellent communication, creative collaboration and teamwork skills.
- Attentive to detail, thorough and shows strong game design sensibilities.
- A commitment to working in a professional, inclusive and supportive environment.
- A passion for motivating, inspiring, mentoring and educating your fellow team members.
- Own and drive studio-wide technical direction and strategy, ensuring League of Geeks is not only working towards industry leading standards but setting the bar.
- Responsible for all technical processes and technology within project teams and game agnostic teams (e.g., operations), and their related needs across the company.
- Accountable for overall technical design; influence and approve overall architecture; ensure design is reviewed.
- Accountable for overall code quality; ensure code is cross-platform and reusable and testable; ensure code is reviewed.
- Accountable for the overall performance of our titles, during development and post-launch; define metrics and sets targets.
- Oversee all internal and external project dependencies, risks, and critical paths; ensure contingency plan is in place; recommend solutions and approve plan & timelines; understand the overall impact on all stakeholders.
- Maintain awareness of technological trends, innovation, and opportunities, actively sharing insights, expertise, and best practices with the project teams and colleagues in other departments.
- Effectively communicate LoG’s technical capabilities, vision, strategy, and decisions to external stakeholders.
- Ensure that consistent communication is maintained in all directions to guarantee the quality of our games.
- Identify career opportunities; grow staff capability; establish the staff profile, performance & training standards, staff planning, succession planning, and compatibility; work with the studio manager Department regarding Career Growth/Succession Planning.
- Weekly bring-your-dog-to-work day on Monday. Yeah, dogs!
- Talent development, mentorship and support.
- Monthly self-directed professional development days.
- Flexible work arrangement opportunities and family-friendly considerations.
- Menstrual, Menopause and Parental leave.
- Sustainable work hours.
- Friday afternoon team social events.
- Annual Summer family picnic, Winter Feast and MIGW party.
- Located in The Arcade, one of the world’s first video game co-working spaces.
- Located in Melbourne, Australia. World’s most liveable city seven years in a row.
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter, an up-to-date CV and folio with examples of your work to [email protected]
- Base salary on offer (excluding benefits) starts at $120k AUD, scaling dependent on experience and expertise of the applicant.
- This role cannot be held remotely. However, relocation assistance is available.
- Please note that due to the large volume of applications we receive, there will be a slow response time but we do endeavour to get back to everyone who shows interest!
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We have safely returned to working together from our studio in Melbourne. However, for the safety and convenience of staff and applicants, all interview stages will take place via video conference.
For general questions and inquiries, please get in touch with careers (at) leagueofgeeks (dot) com.